Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Setbacks Continue

The setbacks continue. Just when things seemed to be starting to turn in my favor, the rug got yanked out from under me again. Last post I mentioned the clinical trial I applied for. After I was sent packing, the clinical trial research company called me back and offered to put me into a different study. After they explained the study, I agreed to participate.  They signed me up and told me when to check-in.  Three days ago they called me back and were desperate for volunteers for a different study. They asked if I would switch studies. I was told that in consideration for switching they would either, give me a guaranteed spot in the new study which was paying less than the original study, or if I didn’t want the guaranty I could risk being a backup for the new study and if not used in that study be placed back into the study for which I had originally signed up. Backups get paid, so I could potentially make an additional few hundred dollars. To make a long story short, it was an opportunity to take a sure thing for less pay, or gamble and potentially make twenty percent more, or make only a third of “sure things” pay. My gambling/risk taking skills haven’t been very good lately. I went with the sure thing. But nothing in life is ever a "sure thing" is it.

Yesterday morning I got a call from the pharmaceutical research company. They informed me that the “sure thing” study had been canceled.  I was reassured not to worry. I was going to be placed back into the original study, which checked in later that week. No problem. I know with these types of things one has to stay flexible. I agreed to the switches.  However, four hours later I received another call telling me that the other study had been cancelled. So, from starting the day with some promise of income, I ended the day  with no scheduled income.

No comments:

Post a Comment